Sydney is a ball of energy! She loves Ridley, is a goalie on the first girls hockey team and is a five-night boarder from New York State.
1. Why did you choose to attend Ridley College?
I chose to attend Ridley because from the first day when I shadowed a current student (when I was looking into attending Ridley) I felt more welcomed then at any other school I’d been to. Everyone enjoyed their time here and were happy and genuine, everyone was willing to help out.
2. Did you feel prepared coming to Ridley?
I was very scared at first, I didn’t want to come the day before because I was very nervous, but from the first day I knew it was right and I knew it was home with the help of many others.
3. What are your plans for after Ridley (ex: university/ college/ gap year/ etc., what degree of study, living where, etc.)?
After graduating from Ridley, I plan to major in English and become a journalist.
4. In your opinion, what has been your greatest challenge thus far at Ridley?
I think finding myself and trying not to worry about what others think, doing the right thing even when no one’s watching.
5. What has been your greatest accomplishment thus far at Ridley?
My greatest accomplishment has been learning a lot about myself, becoming the person I wanted to become.
6. Do you feel prepared going forward after Ridley?
Yes and no. Ridley is very community oriented and sheltered, and I’m not sure that will always be the case wherever I go next. Academically and socially I am very prepared.
7. What is your favourite experience at Ridley (thus far) and your favourite part of Ridley (chapel, rowing, etc.)?
My favourite experience has been boarding because I’ve met my best friends here, amazing people I never would have had the opportunity to meet. Friends become family through being on the hockey team.
8. What have you learned from your time at Ridley?
I have learned the real difference between what’s right, wrong and what you should do rather than what you want to do.
9. Who is your role model?
My mom, she sacrificed a lot for me to come here, she’s the best.
10. Why should prospective students choose Ridley?
You’ll feel welcome and a part of something. There’s nothing like the community here, you walk into lunch and feel comfortable sitting with anyone, there is no odd person out.
11. Do you have any advice for prospective students?
Try everything, be involved with everything.